Friday, August 17, 2007

While It's On My Mind...

1) Lunges are special. They are designed by God to work a muscle that you barely know is there without them. I guess that's not a bad thing. But the soreness is fun...

2)Gym etiquette - someone should write a book. Now, maybe I have high expectations, but the other day I was supersetting a squat and a row. I left my stuff at the squat rack. Two guys went to the squat rack and just set up their stuff and started using it. Never did they look around to see who the stuff belonged to or anything. Since I was actually finished with my squats, I didn't raise hell. But when I went over to get my stuff, do you think one of them said 'oh, sorry were you using this?'... NOPE!

3) I'm a 10! Not on a scale of 1 to 10, a size 10. It's official. I bought 2 pair of pants at the Gap, size 10s, unsure as to whether or not they would actually fit. They did. Yay! Now, they are a little snug, but they fit a whole lot better than my 12s. I haven't been a 10 since 2005, so I'm glad about that. But I don't plan to stay here long - movin on down the scale...

4) Your weight loss tells a lot about other people. Almost two years ago, when I first started to put on weight (I was going through Hell:Part 1), the mother of the woman I worked for, who is in her 60s and extremely weight-conscious, engaged me in conversation about weight. Here it is:
Her: So, my daughter says you're doing South Beach.
Me: Yeah... I have been under a lot of stress lately, and I've gained some weight.Her: You sure have!
Now, I cracked up then, later, and it still makes me smile at least. I wasn't offended - I knew I had gained weight, it was not a newsflash. I proceeded to gain 25 or so more lbs (Hell:Parts 2 & 3), and saw her occasionally during this process. Since I started losing weight, I have seen her twice - once at around a 15 - 20 lb loss, and recently at a 40-lb loss. Did she say anything?! No! Now, why is it so much easier to comment negatively but not positively? I know other people who have acted the same way. It's too bad that some people aren't secure enough to be able to commend someone else's achievements. But oh well - that's their problem.

4 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

I'll write that book on gym etiquette - I'm not sure it'll be able to be released due to the amount of profanity, but at least it'd be nonfiction.

Marcol said...

Yeah, I wish someone would write that sort of book too. The thing that I hate the most in the gym are those people who refuse to wear deodorant or wear a very weak version. I offense is that to us fellow gym-goers???? Gross...

Good for you on your drop in clothes sizes. 2 years and youre staging a comeback...way to go!!!!

I think the people that can only speak about your shortcomings (weight gain) and not acknowledge your strides (weight loss) have some insecurity going on. I think we call those types of people haters... They feel better about themselves when they can point out a flaw. They truly need to see a therapist cause its so not cool.

She notices your weight loss its just too much for her to have to admit it. Your success is scaring her. Perhaps she recognizes you look better than she??? Keep doing your thing my friend and ummm **** the haters!! :)

Kristen said...

Size 10 is very cool...entering the mediums. I love medium. I think I'll love small even more, but medium is not large.

Congratulations.

Kristen said...

Forgot to say how much I love lunges too. When we were hiking, I couldn't walk/run as fast as I would have liked, so I started doing lunges. Love those things.