Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Sucky Run

I had a short run today - 2.68 miles according to mapmyrun. But it was hard! (Funny, I was just checking over my blog, and I never thought I would cnsider 2.68 miles to be a short run). I was expecting 'oh, 2.5 miles, that's pretty easy'. Not. I felt kind of sluggish and slow, my chest was hurting a bit. It was hot, and I went at 1:00 pm, a couple hours or so after a protein drink. I actually just calculated my pace, and it was better than I thought, but still not very good. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but at least I got it done! If anybody out there has any thoughts about what I can do differently, PLEASE share. I would love some advice from some of you experts. :)

I was concerned that, being off this week, I would overeat, out of boredom, availability, etc. I haven't. Yay! On the other hand, I also haven't eaten enough - protein or veggies. I suppose that if I had to choose, I would choose to undereat, since undereating will not make me gain weight. At least not in the short term.

Of course, I'm going from the frying pan to the fire, in a manner of speaking. Next week, my life will be turned upside down (or right side up, depending on how you look at it), and I will be faced with a whole new set of challenges when it comes to my eating & exercise routine. But, what has helped me to be successful thus far is my compulsion to plan & prepare. I have been thinking about it for months, and next week I don't intend to skip a beat. I'm willing to cut myself a bit of slack, but I expect to continue to lose weight. My new schedule will not be an excuse to stagnate. There will be things that will come up, unexpected events, which I can't plan for. But, perhaps tomorrow, I will sit down & think about my mealtimes, where I will be at those times (so I can know what my options are), and pretty much everything else that is essential to continuing to eat right. I can't wait to lose this last 20 lbs!

PS - Thanks to all my faithful commenters for your encouraging words. It means a lot!

7 comments:

swankywanker said...

I'm struggling with the same thing, what makes one run awesome and another one so hard? I make time to exercise around 10 each night, just can't do it in the morning. Some days (like today!) I set myself a goal and then feel so good I surpass it. Other days I am so winded that I have to change my goal so I don't hork on the treadmill. I wish I knew why some runs are successful, I'd try to make them all successful if I could.

Keep it up, though, you're doing great. 2.6 miles is nothing to sneeze at.

Kristen said...

I'm certainly not an expert, but I have always suspected that my poor cardio days have had something to do with my cycle. I've also wondered if it has to do with less carb intake sometimes?

Ripx180 said...

I think it definetly has to do with diet/hydration and the frequency of your runs (you said you have been under eating). If you just had a kick ass long run the day before your body could still be healing. I'm sure enough sleep and positive outlook help also. If I am tired and mentally not there its going to be a miserable half ass run.

I hear you though there are just days where you feel great and fly through the miles without much complaint from your body. Then you try to replicate that and it doesn't happen. Keep going and it will continue to get better over all. Kind of like a 5 day average, which I know you love :)

Tea said...

I'm so happy for you!

Just remember, sometimes you're going to have bad runs. It's ok, and it makes the good ones even better. It could have been a hydration or calorie issue; it could have been heat; or sleep. The most important thing is that you DID IT and you DIDN'T quit!

Rob Tucker said...

First off - viewing 2.5 miles as 'easy' is great. You've come such a long way.

But you're right - DO NOT allow yourself to settle for anything but the best. Good for you for never being satisfied. That's how you win.

David said...

Some things come to mind :

- 3 hours without eating prior to running. Digesting takes blood and resources which are not available for your legs and lungs if you run.

- Run early morning or late night, the cool air is much easier to run in than the 01:00 pm afternoon air

- Did you take into account elevation in your 2.68 miles. Slopes and hills will alter your pace.

- Finally, Keep running ! I blogged last week that after 12 weeks of running 4 times a week i experienced dramatic improvements in my run times. I do not know where you are at in your program though !

Good work !

Rebecca said...

Thanks for all the advice & comments everybody. I definitely appreciate it and take it all into consideration.