Friday, August 10, 2007

Does Almost Count?

So yesterday I was all excited because, for the first time in this journey, my weight went under 160. Woo hoo! Well, I've been excited all week because my weight has been dropping like crazy. I'm down nearly 5 pounds from Monday. For those of you who don't know, I usually have a cheat day on Sunday, which sends my weight up, but it comes back down by the end of the week. However, my official weigh-in day is Friday, and I am down 2.2 lbs since last Friday.

So, because every day this week the scale has dropped at least 1 lb, I expected that today I'd be down even further. But I wasn't. I was disappointed, to say the least, but still excited that I lost 2.2 lbs without exercise! I knew that this week I would have to be strict because I took a week off from the gym (I'm ready to get back in there Sunday morning). But it has made me analyze my behavior. Without realizing it, I think I have taken advantage of my exercise, and used it as a license to blur the perameters of my diet. However, having lost 2 pounds without exercising, while sticking to a fairly strict diet, will make me expect more from myself from this point forward. I should lose, usually, at least 2 lbs/week with exercise, if I could lose 2 lbs without it. Secondly, it reminded me of what I am capable of. I remember telling my brother that I was having a hard time not eating carbs. Being the disciplined man that he is, he was like 'oh. why?' And being the disciplined woman that I am, I said 'I dunno.' And now I remember that it's just a matter of making up my mind - knowing what works, wanting the results, and doing what it takes. Although I have been minorly tempted, I really haven't had to struggle to stay on track. And today, when I was a little more relaxed, I didn't grab the first starch I could find. It was kinda like 'well, you've gone this whole week, now choose carefully and only eat what you really want'. So that's what I did. But this week has reenergized my weight loss fire. I'm ready to burn off that last 20 lbs baby!

I am also feeling a bit more confident about my 10K plans because someone who runs 100 mile races told me that I can increase my running & still stick to a low-carb diet, eating a carb meal after a workout. Phew! I was afraid that my diet & workout regimen wouldn't work well together, but hopefully it will be fine.

Well, all week I have been looking forward to having a drink & relaxing at home tonight, so that's what I'm gonna do, then hopefully have a nice long good night's sleep. Have a great weekend everybody!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

First of all, great job on sticking to your plan and seeing the results. Under 160 is an exciting place to be. Once I got under 160, the rest just kind of came off without much effort.

One thing that I wanted to mention is that I know that several of us have noticed that we lose more weight without exercise sometimes. We've discussed this, but I don't think we ever really came up with the why...except no muscle gain and maybe even some muscle loss?

It took me 4 months to lose 15 pounds with exercise, but only 5 months to lose 40 pounds without it. Then I started exercising again over 4 months ago and have only lost about 5 pounds (although I know I've lost inches).

I guess I'm just trying to say...don't be discouraged if you don't lose more than 2 pounds a week once you get back to the gym. Go by inches (you know this already).