Wednesday, August 22, 2007

In the Running

I was up at 6:15 this morning for a 2.5 mile run. Ummm... it was chilly this morning! I had to put on a lightweight jacket, in August. Not happy. Anyway, it was a shorter run than Monday, but it was harder. My HR was higher, so I assume I was moving faster. I was just a bit uncomfortable, for some reason. But I made it. Thanks to Dave, I used mapmyrun to figure out exactly how far I ran, which was cool.

Someone asked me if running is 'my sport'. She said it seems to be what I always come back to, and it's true. I bought a tennis racket, took boxing classes, step classes, want to take karate and go back to boxing. Want to really learn how to swim. Love the stairclimber at the gym. But no matter what, I always come back to running. Maybe it is 'my sport'.

I think part of what I love about it is the challenge. When you run, you're always just one step away from quitting, which for me would be walking. So it's a challenge to keep going, even when I don't feel like it. I have definitely learned many lessons about tenacity and perseverence, not to mention my body's ability to push past the limits my mind has set for it. Love it.

On another note - someone I haven't seen in months told me I'm melting away. Awe shucks! And the guys that break their necks to watch me run in the morning are a nice ego boost. But really, do they think I'm going to stop running? Nah... catch me at the finish line, wherever that may be. ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, running is pretty cool. It's the most basic of all the sports and yet it requires soooo much more energy and perseverance than the others. Go figure. You're right, though. The challenge - both physically and mentally - is awesome.

Ripx180 said...

I always come back to running too. I think its kind of the roots of exercise or the foundation so to speak. Your drive and inspiration as always are motivational. Nice on breaking some guys necks, thats gotta fill great. Even if your not looking it always feels good to get a look, to know your still in the game.

CCP said...

I'm the same way, running is my passion. It is what started my fitness journey and like a loyal friend it will always be there.

Rob Tucker said...

LOL @ the guys breaking their necks.. too funny.

Also, I love the idea of this being 'your sport' - and how you're always one step away from quitting. Good call on the perspective.

Tea said...

You're doing so great! And all of the compliments definitely help getting up at 6am!

RunToTheFinish said...

Completely agree...I did a lot of sports when I was younger, but now have found running to be the thing that I will do consistently for fun and to stay healthy... mostly because you can always find some new way to get better.