Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Back in the Saddle

Today was my first weight training session in 2 weeks. It was good! After I finished my weights & cardio, I thought to myself 'I am a gym rat'. I love working out! Maybe I'm crazy, but to me, it doesn't count if you don't feel like you can hardly make it. Work hard, lift heavy, or go home, is how I see it. I think I like the feeling of accomplishment that comes from knowing that I have pushed past my comfort zone.

After my workout I ate a sandwich. It wasn't that great, so I didn't eat it all. The little shop where I bought my lunch has this really good cookie. I looked at it. There was a time when going there was pretty much a guarantee I would have one, maybe even buy an extra for good measure. I didn't. I have realized that, somewhere in the recesses of my mind, is the thought that I have to have [fill in the blank] now because I don't know when I can have it again. That's part of what makes me have 2 Thai iced teas instead of 1, or buy a cookie, or finish eating something I don't want. I don't do that stuff anymore, but I realized that it's ok to pass it up, because I can always come back another time, so to speak. Is it gluttony? Hoarding? I dunno, but it made me fat, so I'm glad I'm working through it.

4 comments:

Ripx180 said...

Your second paragraph touches on something that i have been thinking allot about lately. That there is always another day to have _______ you don't have to eat as much as you can this time around. I don't know if its the caveman/cavewomen thing kicking in telling you to eat as much as you can cause you don't know when your next meal is. However it does seem like a radical way to look at food. I am trying to get there.... not there yet but on my way. Good post.

Tea said...

Congrats on getting back on the wagon and MAKING progress!

Of course, I personally think the comments by friends are better than anything the scale has to say, but the comments don't happen as often.

Melissa said...

That thinking process is such an important part. Its like when you finally switch the gears up there, its like wait I dont HAVE to have that, so I chose not to this time. I was going through that this weekend. Of course I have a long ways to go. lol The feeling after you chose not to is such a great one!

Rob Tucker said...

I do that a lot with the food - it's a 'treat' that I don't get often, or "I've earned this".

You're making the right decisions. The right results are following!