Thursday, June 14, 2007

Disclaimer

Just in case anyone wondered, I did not write the post yesterday - it was a sparkpeople healthy reflections email. Should have said that yesterday, but wanted to clear it up just in case.

Well, I don't have much to say otherwise. Today was a fine eating day. I have a 1:30 - 4 class which can be a challenge, especially because there are 3 (count 'em, 3!) vending machines immediately outside the room. Normally I just walk past them without a second... ok, without a third glance. But today I actually stopped and looked. Strategically, I left my wallet in the classroom, ensuring that my decision would be thoughtful not spontaneous. Regardless, I did not purchase anything at the vending machine. Instead I waited until I got to the previously purchased cans of tuna fish that awaited me in my car. Victory! I have to wonder though, if I didn't have the tuna fish waiting in the car, would I have deviated from my plan? I'm convinced that planning/foresight is one of the most important components to success.

I find the ups & downs of this journey fascinating. There are times when it's easy. And other times when it's not so easy. Sometimes, you just have to keep pushing even when you see no results. And sometimes, the results you see motivate you. The thing is, wherever you are you never know when you're going to turn a corner and post a big (or small) number. Which is why you just have to keep pushing no matter what. I'm pretty good at that. I look in the mirror, and I'm proud that I have lost 36 pounds. I wish I had pictures of me at my highest weight. But I am nowhere near satisfied with where I am or how I look, so the idea of quitting is just not even an option right now. Now that I've started, I know that I can finish, so finish I will. Wherever we are on our journey, I hope we all find whatever it is that keeps the fire burning so we can finish what we started.

If anybody reading this is interested, check out the Celebrity Fit Club finale on Sunday (VH1) at 9. It's cool to see how some of these people have changed their bodies. People always say 'if I had a chef like the stars I could lose weight too'. Maybe, maybe not. It still requires discipline, which you can't buy! And these celebrities have definitely put in the work to lose weight at a reasonable pace. Plus Dustin Diamond is CRAZY, and Harvey hates him, which is fun to watch.

2 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

Your third paragraph was exactly what I needed to read today, Rebecca. Thanks for posting that. So true - yet so easy to forget. I needed that reminder.

Marcol said...

Strategy is definitely one of the major keys to success. If we dont have a strategy/plan in almost every aspect of our fitness endeavors we're setting ourselves up for failure, either immediately or eventually. I also have learned that if the goal is important enough we'll plan it with all we have. If I find myself not sticking to a plan or achieving a goal I have to ask myself if I really want it or not because the proof is in the pudding. So many things Ive been going after lately and finding a way to succeed no matter the obstacles I face but I realize its all been based in how bad do I want it. Yippie for you in your strategic tuna plan - gave you a vending machine forfeit and Im sure your body will pay you back for that :)