Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A New Experience

So, don't laugh (my brother already did), but today, after lifting weights for about 10 years, I used the squat rack for the first time. Sad, but true. I just used a barbell for my squats, which meant that I needed help lifting the weight, until someone shed light on that contraption that I saw everybody else using. So today, I used it. It will take some getting used to, because the bar is SO long. I kinda felt like I was crooked, since I was doing jump squats. On my good mornings I felt like I couldn't straighten up with the bar on my back, but I'm hoping it will just take some getting used to. But it definitely made it easier for me, and I could load more weight, obviously. So, today was a milestone in my fitness journey.

I started taking creatine last week, and so far I haven't lost any weight, but I have maintained and I do feel stronger, which is a good feeling. This whole weight loss thing is weird. I've lost 35 pounds, but sometimes I still look in the mirror and wonder 'did I really lose weight?' Even when I put on old clothes that hang on me, or wear clothes that used to be too tight and now fit, I still wonder. The truth is, I'm now at a weight where I stayed for at least a couple of years and was satisfied. Now, I'm totally dissatisfied. I don't even really admire my progress anymore, I just think about how much time it's gonna take me to lose my last 15-20 lbs, what size will I be and what will I look like when I get there.

I realized that losing the weight I have lost was a self-esteem builder, which is great. Before September, I had never made a decision to lose weight and actually seen it through. I've wanted to lose 20 lbs for as long as I can remember, but I never had any deliberate, sustained weight loss until now, and it's a great feeling - when I feel it. Anyway, that's all for now.

1 comment:

Marcol said...

Hi Rebecca! New experiences are interesting aren't they? Seeing something for so long and never thinking about why it's there or how can I use it happens... Then one day, wahlah, we see we have use for it and then it revolutionizes our lives. Im sure the "Rack" will bring you great results. I'll be watching...