Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mirror, Mirror

So, today while I was at the gym, I complimented an (overweight) employee on her new haircut. But here's the weird thing - I can't picture what her hair looked like before! The same thing happened to me last week when I saw a woman I have seen weekly for at least a month. She cut her hair, and although I knew her new haircut was more becoming, I couldn't for the life of me remember what her hair looked like before! And herein lies the problem with losing weight. One of the many problems. You get used to yourself and don't remember what you looked like before. Without measurements, pictures, and my handy Weight Watchers booklet, I would think I imagined myself 35 lbs heavier. I don't really remember what I looked like before, and that can be discouraging. The mind is an interesting thing, isn't it? I need to remember the success I've had. My friend told me I should wake up every morning and tell myself that I'm the bomb because I lost 28 lbs, at the time. Maybe she's right...

I love lifting weights, and I was happy that the main weight room at the gym was virtually empty today. I used the Smith machine to bench press 60 lbs, and it was easier than it was last week. Maybe the creatine and BCAAs are helping. I hope so, because I really like feeling strong. Maybe pressing 60 lbs is nothing to someone else, but for me it feels good, and I look forward to being stronger. People magazine has a story about women who lost 100 lbs, and one woman runs 5-10 miles 3 times a week. I wanna do that. One of these days. I'm trying to run a 10k in October, we'll see how that goes. I'll keep you posted! Ha ha...

1 comment:

Marcol said...

The mirror can be a tricky thing especially when you can forget what you looked like as soon as you walk away, go figure. Pictures and the eyes of others always help and if those jeans are getting looser and strength gains are being made then progress is happening. Keep with it no matter what!