Friday, October 5, 2007

I Did It!

Today was the last official day of training for my 10K. The next two days are rest days, and the race is on Monday. I'm excited but a bit nervous too. Thanks to everyone for all your encouragement, I will let you know how it goes! Starting school, I was a bit concerned (as were others who know me well) that the training would be a bit much - too many early mornings, not enough sleep. But I did it! I was prepared to adjust my training schedule if it got to be too much, but I didn't feel the need to. And although there were some days that I didn't run the prescribed number of miles because of time constraints, and two days I skipped because I wasn't feeling well, I did what I was supposed to do every single day. So... I'm so proud of me. ;)

This 10K will be a totally new experience for me. I have been, for the most part, a solitary exerciser. That's cool, it works for me, although I have had a training partner, which has also been good. It will be interesting to find out how running in the company of about 7,000 women affects me. Who knows, I might have my fastest time ever!

This has been a busy week for me, I guess the real work (papers) is starting to kick in. Good times. I also have not had consistent Internet access at home, which is a definite boo. Thanks to those of you who came looking for me! It made me feel special. :)

Last, I almost busted my ass during my run on Monday (during which, unbeknownst to me, I was spotted by a classmate and a friend. Weird!). My favorite sweatpants are about 8 years old. And they look it - they have holes & runs in them, but I love them. Unfortunately, they also have a split in the bottom, due to the combination of being short and wearing them in all kinds of weather. Not a good combo for a run. My foot got caught in it, not once, but twice! I thought to myself 'I hope nobody saw that'. Lesson: never wear 8 year old sweatpants that have a big rip in the bottom when you are trying to run 5 miles.

9 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

Wow, nice! It's Monday already? I'd wish you luck, but you have something better than luck.

Preparation and determination. Can't wait to hear how this goes.

Jim McCoy said...

I almost died reading about the sweatpants, because I'm the same way about my clothes. Don't forget to let us all know how you do on the run too.

Jay said...

yeah, good luck...and don't wear the sweatpants when you run! :)

Anonymous said...

You're going to do great. Rest up for sure...your body needs the recovery time before the big day! :) Good luck on the run. I've heard that doing races are a lot of fun because you're so distracted and you're done before you know it. Again, you're going to do great. I'm excited to hear about it!! :)

BTW, thanks for the sweats advice. lol

Marcol said...

Youre going to do great on Monday, Im confident of this. Youve remained dedicated and consistent, you cant help but be rewarded on Monday because of it.

Enjoy the exeperience and most of all have fun!

Sorry to hear you got tripped up with those sweats but glad to hear you didnt injure yourself :)

Marcol said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tea said...

I just cannot wait to hear how it goes!

(Just remember, your number is pinned to the front.)

I can't tell you how happy I am for you. You've worked so hard. You've changed your body and your outlook. This race is just the icing on the cake. Enjoy it!

Melissa said...

Good Luck today! Cant wait to hear how the race went :)

Ripx180 said...

Hope the run is going or went great! I am sure your time will be really good as all the people and atmosphere will really energize you. It does for me anyway. Looking forward to hearing how it went.