Thursday, October 11, 2007

Back in Business

Well, my home Internet is back up, thank God. Man, the Internet is a bootiful thing! :)

This week has been somewhat interesting. I hit the gym the morning after my race, with a nice weight training session. I did 4 sets of 10 reps - deadlift, bench press, split squat and explosive push ups. Little rest - 60 seconds after each set of 4, if that makes sense. Then 2 sets of 20 - cable row, walking lunge, deadlift off box, and something that I can't remember. Then hanging leg raises - 2 sets of 10. It was good - I felt good, although I underlifted. But this weekend I'm supposed to do a 1 rep max test, so that will end. No more underlifting for me!But, as my brother said, perhaps getting up the next morning and hitting the weights was not the brightest thing I could have done. I figured, hey, it's just 1 extra mile over what I've been doing - no big deal. But something went wrong, because I have been very tired this week. So I skipped the gym today, and will not go tomorrow, but Sunday I'll be back in the saddle. Sitting at the library on Tuesday, I did NOT feel like doing my reading cuz I was so tired. Of course, I did it anyway, but it was a bad feeling, and I know it's because I was overtired. I definitely believe that pushing through the stuff that you don't feel like doing is a key element of success, but I have to be careful to not set myself up for too much pushing. Maybe it was the extra mile on Monday, maybe it was a lack of real rest over the weekend. I dunno, but I'm trying to let it go so that I can start to build myself.

A young lady at my internship was sad that she is fat. I told her that I lost 43 lbs, and she said 'you used to be big?' with surprise. I don't know how far it can/will go, but perhaps my recent weight loss can help her make some moves so that she can be happier with her body. We'll see...

The weight hasn't been budging this week, but I swear clothes that I bought 2 or 3 weeks ago fit differently. More of a difference than I would expect for 3 lbs. I'm not sure exactly what to make of that. I know that, because of my schedule, and my comfort level with portions and such, I have not been tracking my calories or being as diligent with my measurement of food. so I plan to recalculate my calories for my new weight, and figure out what I can eat that will fit those guidelines so that I don't have to input them every day. We'll see how that works.

On another note - I got my first two assignments back - a B+ and an A-. Woo hoo!

7 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

Nice work, all around.

It's such a great feeling when you are able to inspire others. I know it took me to the depths of hell to realize I had a problem when I got as big as I was. To see others possibly avoid that same life by seeing me do better?

That's amazing.

Jay said...

You're full of good news!

Loose fitting clothes are the gift that keeps on giving. You're constantly reminded throughout the day that you are thinner than you used to be, I love that feeling! Keep up the intense workouts and those things won't even fit at all!

You might want to take some measurements to track your progress as well.

Jim McCoy said...

The looser clothes may be a sign that you're losing fat, but either building muscle or retaining water. It's hard to tell for sure, but if you had some measurements, it would be easier to tell.

Melissa said...

Good idea listening to your body and realizing you may be pushing yourself to hard. Only you can judge that. A big YAY for you on your grades :) Your ability to balance everything mind blows me. You rock :)

Tea said...

Congrats on more loss! Even if it is not reflected on the scale, it's reflecting in your clothes.

btw---the tiredness that you experienced is most likely from the race. typically, the normal rule is one day off for every mile raced. Now for a 10k, you could easily take 1-2 days off then walk/run on the 3rd day.

It helps your body recover quicker.

Marcol said...

OK, so many great things in this blog. Not one but TWO spectacular grades from this brand new Grad Student...

Then you manage to pull a motivating act on girl at your internship...

You wow us yet again with your workout and then you have clothes that fit looser than they did 3 weeks ago, WHAT?

You know youre the Queen of BIG THINGS, you never fail to show us how to get it done! You definitely work at Rockstar level!

swankywanker said...

Rebecca, you're the greatest. I am always impressed by you. Thanks for being a constant source of support and inspiration.