Monday, October 15, 2007

Tempo

Today I did a tempo run. I walk/jogged 1 mile, ran 3 miles, and then jog/walked 1 mile. I had a goal pace for the middle 3 miles, so it forced me to work harder to try to make sure I hit the goal. I did. I actually ran faster than I was supposed to. It was a strange experience though, forcing myself to jog really slow. The whole pacing myself thing? No, not my strong suit. But I did it, and the point is to get faster. While I was jogging, I wondered what someone would think if they saw me. And then I thought - you never know where someone is in their journey. Looking from the outside is just such an insufficient way to judge someone, cuz you don't know where they've been or what they're working on. Me? I'm working on getting faster. Strangely, to get faster, I guess I have to train myself to go slower sometimes. Funny how that works.

I was thinking today that I work hard. Right now, I have a lot of work to do. My internship, where I spend 24 hours/week, is hectic and tiring. I am very focused on my school work, and it consumes the vast majority of my weekend. I'm tired. Sometimes I feel isolated & sad. There is a time when I wouldn't have admitted my fatigue to myself, out of fear that the admission would paralyze me. Now, I can say 'I'm tired, I don't feel like [fill in the blank - running, reading, writing this paper, getting out of bed]', and do it anyway. And you know what? I'm realizing that it's actually a better feeling to push myself to do what I don't feel like doing, than to be in denial about how I feel. Just trying to keep it real I guess.

8 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

Pimpin' ain't easy.

You're a machine, Rebecca. I can't believe what you've accomplished. It's mind blowing.

Melissa said...

I like this blog, especially since I just started a walk/jog program. You never know what someone is doing, do you? :)

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you. Before I started losing weight, I'd see a fat person eating a cheeseburger and would automatically assume that they're fat because they eat cheeseburger. (Chances are, yeah, that's the case.) But there have been times at the beginning of my weight-loss that I'd place an order at McDonalds, but would be staying within my calories blah blah blah. This whole journey has really forced me to change my outlook on other people. You're so right - you never know where they've been or what they're doing.

Marcol said...

Nice on hitting your 3 mile goal. Isnt it interesting how a little tweak here or there can force you to work harder even when it seems easier?

Youre right, you do work hard. I hope that you find the happy balance between school, work, internship and having some good ole you time; its important.

Keep keeping it real!

Anonymous said...

Keep being honest with yourself. That's the best thing you can do. And keep pressing on toward your goals.

Jim McCoy said...

Congrats on the faster than anticipated three mile pace. Life rocks when you get those little surprises, doesn't it?

Happiness Within said...

I just turned 30 this week! Congratulations on your accomplishments.

Kristen said...

Great blog, Rebecca. I think about that all the time. We have no idea what stage others are in.

You are a huge inspiration to me, so keep it up. You're doing so many great things.