Sunday, October 14, 2007

Strong Enough for A Woman

Today was my long-awaited 1RM test. It was fun. OK, not really, but it was interesting. I found out that I'm stronger than I knew, and I've been underlifting. I found out that I can bench press 105 lbs once, squat 190 lbs once, deadlift 165 lbs once, and do an 80 lb military press once. I never would have dreamed of doing a 70-lb military press, but I actually did 10 reps today. My bench press weight is in the 90th percentile for my weight & age, which is pretty cool.

I actually went through a phase a couple of years ago where I deliberately underlifted because I didn't want to get bigger. No more. Now, it's go heavy or go home. The only downfall to this knowledge is that it will force me to challenge myself at a higher level. Who am I kidding - I live for the challenge!

Compliment time - someone that hasn't seen me in a month or so called me skinny and said I'm disappearing. That's a nice one, not only because, um, well, that's the goal, but because I really haven't lost much scale weight - about 1 lb/week, so for it to be noticeable like that is also exciting.

As always, thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot. It's really nice to have a forum that provides a little ego boost every now & then. We all need it, and you can't get it everywhere. I work really hard to lose weight, stay fit and excel in school, and it helps keep me going to get the positive reinforcement through the people that read my blog. Thanks!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Just...wow. Those are impressive numbers! I feel bad for anyone who pisses you off!! ;)

Anonymous said...

You're a powerhouse. That's awesome!

Rob Tucker said...

Well, we don't give away praise just for the sake of earning it. We just confirm the hard work that you've put in. Any compliments you get are results of hard work and are COMPLETELY deserved and earned!

Marcol said...

Well we now know who not to F*** with. That being said, great job on your 1RM lifts. There are some men who cant match up to where you are.

Youll be lifting pounds like this http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hW8yO_qQP3E before you know it. Her "guns" are poppin' yours must be too ;)

Im looking forward to watching your progress as you forge ahead into the higher level of challenge!

Marcol said...

PS - I complete second what Rob said. Youve earned every compliment and note of praise youve received. Youre one badass!

Ripx180 said...

I haven't done a 1RM probably since right out of high school. You could probably beat me in several of them. Makes me want to join a gym and get a weight lifting partner. I am really rusty when it comes to lifting free weights. keep showing us how its done, we are watching.

swankywanker said...

You ARE a machine. I'm going to rock this challenge, out of fear you'll come after me if I don't. Tres impressive!

Tea said...

You rock!

I strongly believe that women should push the big weights as well as doing high reps. You are going to have (if not already) one heck of a sculpted body AND you'll start seeing your running times improve.

I am SO happy for you!