Monday, October 8, 2007

Under My Belt

Well, my first 10K is officially behind me. It was a totally new experience for me, and I loved it! My time wasn't bad - 6.2 miles in 1:06, which is a pace of 10:42. I felt really good, no cramps or anything. There was such a wide variety of women out there - all different shapes, sizes, athletic abilities, which made it really inspiring & humbling.

For me, running this 10K was kind of about being an individual, and recreating my life according to my own standards and desires. I have spent years doing what others wanted me to do, or thought I should do. Even though I did have someone out there cheering me on (you know who you are - thanks!), and other women out there running with me, I was on my own. I trained on my own, and I completed it on my own. And that's ok. I did this because I wanted to do it. I've talked about it for months, and today I moved past talking and did it. That makes me proud. I don't want to be one of those people who talks about hopes, dreams, aspirations, and doesn't do a damn thing to bring them to fruition. Nah, I wanna be one of those people who's always working on something, constantly challenging myself and my abilities.

So now, on the next phase. I want to get faster, but I also want to get stronger, so I am going to refocus on my strength training. Thankfully, I haven't lost any strength over the past 8 weeks, but I also haven't gotten much stronger. That's about to change though, because tomorrow morning it's up at 6 to hit the weights!

Last but not least, thanks to everyone who has encouraged & supported this endeavor of mine. It has come in many different forms, and I'm certainly grateful for every last bit of it. Yay you!

11 comments:

Ripx180 said...

Sweet sounds like you knocked it out of the park. I knew you would, 10min miles are great. I love the attitude too on doing what you want instead of sitting around and talking about it and doing nothing. This is you being the best you can be. Thanks for sharing it with us on your blog.

Tea said...

That is an amazing finishing time for your first 10k! All your hardwork has really paid off. I can't wait to see what's next for you. Strength will get you lean really fast. Then, just see how your running times improve. :)

To answer your question, I haven't used Endurox Excel. I use Hammer Endurolytes for my longest training rides/runs (which is a similar but not the same product). I really like them. I use Endurox's Accelerade during training also. Then for muscle recovery, I usually drink chocolate milk. I can't stand those recovery drinks.

You can compare all of them at www.trisports.com if you want.

I hope that's a little helpful.

swankywanker said...

Wow, Rebecca, what an amazing time! Such a rockstar. I am truly impressed. You are my inspiration tonight as I head to my treadmill. I am so proud of you.

Kirsten said...

congratulations! that is an awesome accomplishment

Jim McCoy said...

Awesome job. I ran my first 5k at the Race for the Cure this summer...and my pace was about 14 minute miles. I was happy with that. Ten minutes is unreal. Keep up the good work!

Kristen said...

Absolutely amazing. I remember when your 1 mile run time was higher than your 10k average mile time :)

I'm so jealous.

Rob Tucker said...

Here I am, standing up and applauding. I'd load up the video but blogger won't let me.

Awesome!!

Marcol said...

You know you ROCK Rebecca. You definitely show us over and over how to get it done. Youre one dedicated young woman and you deserve all the accolades youre getting. Im soooo proud of your accomplishment. A 10:42 min. mile, WHAT!?!

WOOHOO!!! Consider this a ticker-tape parade just for you :)You must feel like partying like a Rockstar! In fact, like Swanky noted a few days ago, Rebecca YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR!!!

Anonymous said...

Good job! What an accomplishment! You're inspiring me to sign up for the one I am halfway avoiding next month... You're awesome for doing it, though!

Anonymous said...

VERY COOL, Rebecca!! Great time, too! So, is there the possibility for a half marathon for you? ;) Awesome job on the 10K. You rock.

Jay said...

That is a really good time! Nice job in focus and training!