Thursday, October 25, 2007

Self Care

It's a beautiful thing.

Tonight after work I went out for self-care with some of my co-workers. Working with a bunch of teenagers all week is draining. Combining that with a full load of classes, the gym, and a part-time job is exhausting. We needed some self-care. I indulged, not overly so, but still. It was nice to relax. I'm hoping that,now that midterms are over, I can have a little bit of down time this weekend. I actually skipped my workout this morning and tomorrow morning because I feel like I'm about to come down with a little somethin' somethin', and I don't have time for that. So I took some preventive measures, in the form of sleep, and I'm feeling a bit better. That pre-sore throat/headache feeling was a red flag, because I was just sick a month ago, and I don't usually get sick that often. It seems as though I'm learning to be more attuned to my body's needs, and less concerned about performance and more concerned about quality. Like, so what if I can say I got up at 5:00 am to work out when I have bags under my eyes? Who cares if I lost 2 lbs this week if I'm sick for a week? So hopefully this decision will pay off, and I can resume my regularly scheduled programming on Sunday. Looking forward to that, but also looking forward to the extra 1 1/2 hours of sleep that I will get tomorrow morning. Hopefully.

3 comments:

swankywanker said...

You have stellar self care, and that's so important. You'll return to your schedule only when you feel good enough. Don't wear yourself out.

I know everyone has their own annoying suggestions for avoiding a cold. . . here's mine. I'm a big fan of Emergen-C. They're available at CVS and Trader Joes, probably other places, too. I won't say how long it's been since I've had a cold, cause I don't want to jinx myself. It's been a long time, though.

Feel better soon. Your gym misses you.

Marcol said...

Sorry to hear youre not feeling your usual Rebecca-self. I hope youre back up to speed really soon.

I sit here smiling as I read this because its nice to read that youre acting on the cues that your body is sending you and accepting that its ok to forfeit the gym for the sake of optimal health. Your body and performance will thank you for it.

Enjoy your downtime this weekend, like everything else youve earned it!

Candy Girl said...

i think im going to sleep in tomorrow. its sounds so niiiice!