Saturday, October 20, 2007

A New Story

So, now that I have the time to really blog, I don't know what to say. But anybody who knows me knows I will find something to talk about.

I'm actually feeling pretty good about my fitness regimen these days. The first couple of days lifting weights based on my 1RP test were NO JOKE. The way my workout is set up, I do 4 sets of 10 reps for 4 exercises, with 60 seconds of rest after each complete circuit, and then 2 sets of 20 reps for 4 exercises. After doing 40 push presses with 25 lbs, trying to do 20 military presses with 25 lbs - forget it! But it's a good feeling to leave the gym completely spent. So I lift weights 3x/week, with cardio interval training on those days, and I do a long run on Mondays (7 miles this week - woo hoo!), and speedwork on Fridays. That was big fun this week - up at 5:30 am for an hour-long interval run. Hopefully in a month or so, you will see on my little run log that my speed has picked up, which is what I'm working my ass off for. Oh, and I mean that literally - jeans that I bought at the end of the summer and were a bit too tight are now sagging in the butt. Although I appreciate that it means I've lost weight, I can't say that I like to look in the mirror and see a saggy butt. Oh well...

Losing weight has taught me a lot about myself. It has definitely helped me to tell a different story about myself. Whereas a year ago I was afraid to start to try to lose weight because I thought I would fail, now I have lost 45 pounds. I can look at myself as a disciplined person who finishes what she starts and has the commitment required to take on big projects and succeed. It's too bad that many people never give themselves the opportunity to tell a new story because they never even challenge themselves to push beyond their comfort zone. To everybody reading this blog, whether you have lost 1 pound or 100 lbs, pat yourself on the back for rewriting your story. You deserve it!

(See, I told you I'd come up with something)

9 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

It's so true that this helps show us what we're capable of. I've gained/lost the weight so many times in the past that I just assumed I would fail before the next attempt. Now, it's not even an option to fail anymore - to the point where I get frustrated when it doesn't happen "when and where" I want it to.

You're doing a great job - definitely one of the role models of the FAT Coalition.

Kristen said...

That was a great something you came up with. I'm so glad you're here with us. I feel the same way about rewriting who we are...that I (ME!) was successful in something huge. I didn't know if I had it in me.

Marcol said...

Rebecca you pulled off a great blog here. Rob said it best, youre a role model worth looking to - you make a plan and as always get it done.

Your new regimen seems fierce but Im sure youll be rocking it out!

BTW, great new story that you have to tell. 45 lbs, wow youre knocking on 50's door.
Woohoo!!! Im soooo proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Rebecca.

Hey, as frustrating as saggy butt jeans are, it's a good reminder of where we're going. Great job!

billy said...

Totally good blog, you're absolutely right about rewriting your own story. You are doing awesome. You should be very proud.

I think I found that in re-writing my story, a lot of other questions came up in the process, so watch out for those!

Tea said...

It's very important to look back at how far you've come. Sometimes we lose that for the NOW. Don't focus on that candy bar you just ate...focus on the 45 that you've lost!

Melissa said...

It really is amazing when we rewrite who we are. The confidence Ive gotten from being able to move to a healthier me is more than I expected!

You have done great, and are doing great! The way you are always challenging yourself is really inspiring.

Ripx180 said...

great blog Rebecca.... on the saggy butt jeans.... at least its the jeans that are sagging and not your butt :). Put your caboose in a correct size pair of jeans and watch out world. Your work ethic and success is a great inspiration for me. Keep getting it done.

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I'm glad you are following through on something you wanted to do for awhile. Especially something as hard as losing (and keeping off) weight.