Sunday, July 1, 2007

Rebecca's Fitness Journey

For me, weight loss is not just about weight loss. I had an extremely difficult 18 months, which resulted in a 40 lb weight gain. When everything else in my life was spiraling out of control, I lost control of my eating. Well, I gave up control. I ate what I wanted, when I wanted. I didn't have the emotional energy that is required to be self-disciplined. So when I decided to walk into a Weight Watchers meeting last September, I wasn't just making a decision to lose weight, I was taking my life back. Now, when I look in the mirror, the physical evidence of my struggle is gone. Of course, I bear the internal battle scars, and people who know me well can see them. But I am proud of the person that I have become. I have learned lessons about myself, relationships, and life overall, that I wouldn't trade anything for.

This blog chronicles my journey to fitness, and it encompasses far more than the scale. I didn't start Rebecca's Fitness Journey to be a part of a weight loss support group. Although I appreciate the encouraging comments and the support, I will not censor my blog. If its content doesn't fit someone else's perameters, that's ok. I will continue to have a blog, and I will continue to lose weight.

I just want to give props to my friend who just had a (cute) baby boy. She has been very concerned about losing her baby weight, and she has done a good job. She told me that she uses him to do squats and bench presses. Now, there is a perfect example of 'where there's a will, there's a way'. I appreciate the fact that she is doing what she can with what she has, and it's that kind of determination that will help her to be successful in her weight loss journey. That's what I'm talkin about baby! ;)

10 comments:

Kristen said...

Rebecca, these are your thoughts and your blogs. Write away!

I don't think I know your stats like I should. Do you mind detailing how tall you are and how much you've lost and all that good stuff? It's ok if you don't feel comfortable doing that. I've just been curious and wasn't sure if I've missed it.

Rob Tucker said...

LOL! As long as she doesn't use the baby to play basketball, it sounds like he's got a good plan going.

Ripx180 said...

I agree on not censoring your blog.... the journey is about so much more than just weight loss. Like everyone says its a life style so I am with you on saying my blog may contain some random ripx (gage, my real name) happenings.

congrats to your friend on the birth of their child.

Rebecca said...

Thanks guys! Kristen, I am 5'1, when I started I was 200.2 lbs, according to the Weight Watchers scale. The high end of the range they set for my height is 132 lbs, which was my original goal, but because I'm fairly muscular I set a goal of 150, but I will probably have to reevaluate at 150, and might end up at 140 instead, depending on how I look.

Kristen said...

Wow, Rebecca. I never EVER pictured you to be about my height. How cool to have another shortie here! I am the same way I think. I don't know that I would say I'm fairly muscular, but my structure is more solid than other girls I know, so 140 is fine for me. Even Lifetime Fitness thinks that 147 is fine for me -which is a huge shock.

billy said...

Nobody wants to censor the blogs or keep them just about weight loss.

How much have you lost to date? I guess I can wait for the Challenge stats to see!

Marcol said...

Hey Rebecca,

Let me be the first to commend you on regaining control and taking your life back - thats no easy feat for even the strongest of hearts - congrats! Its apparent from your blog that losing weight is an outward expression of who've youve become - each pound representing an obstacle overcome. For you to have dropped 40 lbs clearly lets it be known that you have regained your emotional equillibrium,
self-discipline and control. Im sure when you look in the mirror you must think 'go girl wit ya bad self!' (smile) Seriously though, job well done.

As Kristen has said this is YOUR blog so "say and do" what you wanna! This blog is about YOU, and as India Arie says shes not/more than her hair - youre more than youre weight, feel free to speak about whatever aspect of your life or feelings that you feel froggish enough to talk about :) (but you knew that already though - lol Fred H.)

BTW, big ups to your friend who had her baby boy and decided by any means neccessary she wasnt going to hold onto that baby weight! Youre right, its possible to get it done and find substitutes for gym weights and machines if getting it done is what its really about! Tell her she better do it!

Anonymous said...

This is what makes weight-loss so inspirational. Everyone has their reasons to lose weight, and hardly ever is the primary reason "to be skinny."

Your friend is awesome. Is that her baby on your blog (Preston)? If so, what a cutie. Even if he's not, still...what a cutie! Anyway, for your friend to not let excuses get in the way of her weight loss and just do what needs to be done is commendable.

Anonymous said...

That post reminds me of how inspirational it is when somebody has a breaking point with their weight and pushes through to the other side. :) Trust me, I've been there.
And I love the idea of using the baby as a fitness aide! Whatever's clever.

Rebecca said...

Beck, yes, that's him, Preston. He is cute! :)