Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Next Level

I've noticed a few 'year in review' posts, so I figured I'd throw my own into the mix. Last year was a pretty big year for me. I applied to grad school, which was an emotionally harrowing process. And I actually got in and received a scholarship that covers almost half of my tuition. I busted my ass my first semester to get grades that I am proud of. I got down to a weight I haven't been since college, and wear a size that I have never worn before. I ran my first 10K. The most important thing to me is not necessarily the accomplishments, but what I have learned about myself. I have learned that I am a finisher. Period. I don't make haphazard decisions or undertake endeavors lightly, because when I decide to do something, I give it my all. I learned that I know how to weather ups & downs to get things done. I learned that I persevere through discomfort, pain and change. I have learned that I am a person that I am proud of.

I am looking forward to taking it to the next level in 2008. I want to run a half-marathon, and a faster 10K time. I want to lose the last however many pounds required to have a flat stomach, and chiseled arms & legs. I want to continue to achieve academically & professionally at the highest level possible for me. I want to continue to nurture relationships that are healthy and fulfilling, allowing myself to be sharpened by intimacy. I want to make choices based on what's best, not what's easiest or most comfortable. I want to continue my quest to understand myself, face the things in me that are broken, unresolved and undeveloped so that I can be the best me I can be. Yeah, I have big goals for 2008, but I have no doubt that they are achievable. I have learned that the most important thing is for me to be able to look in the mirror on December 31 and know that I did my absolute best to bring them to pass. That's what really matters.

6 comments:

Kris said...

Great goals!! I love to see people reaching out for more than fitness. Also, I think that it all works together -- mind, body, soul, one helps the others. Good luck this year, I am sure you will be successful!

Marcol said...

Your year in review speaks tons about your character, tenacity and abilities. Great 2007 and nothing but the best is in store for your 2008.

Youve marked your goals and theres no doubt in my mind that youll achieve or at least give your darnest effort toward making all that youve outlined happen. Youre a winner on every level - and this next one will be no different!

Again, congrats for all your accomplishments, you deserve them all :)

RunToTheFinish said...

Well rounded. That's why I like you, it's not all about just being fit or just being smart, you take into account everything for a balanced and enjoyable life.

Congrats on an awesome year!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. I need to adopt some of those goals myself. Hope your 2008 is awesome!

Steelboss said...

Hi there, my name is Boss.

I was just passing by and had to stop and wish you much luck with all your goals.

I think reading about what you're wanting to do, you certainly have the ability to achieve your goals, and I am sure you will do that in the fullness of time.

I did want to say to you, also that I run my own messageboard called Steelmuscle, which is located on my blog.

If you or anyone you know, wants additional help, motivation, support or just to give back to others, please do stop by and see us anytime, we'd be very happy to have you there.

Again I will wish you lots of luck for the coming year, Happy new year, and I hope all your goals you want to achieve become possible.

I have never wanted to do distance running, but I admire and respect you a lot for wanting to do so,

Take care and best wishes :-).

Boss

swankywanker said...

2007 was a great year for you and you've equipped yourself to make 2008 even better. With all the ass-kicking you do, it's amazing you have time for earning great grades, writing inspirational blogs, and being a good friend.